Fundamentals of Modern Manufacturing is designed for a first course or two-course sequence in manufacturing at the junior level in mechanical, industrial, and manufacturing engineering curricula. Given its coverage of engineering materials, it may also be suitable for materials science and engineering courses that emphasize materials processing. Finally, it may be appropriate for technology programs related to the preceding engineering disciplines. Most of the book’s content is concerned with manufacturing processes (about 65% of the text), but it also provides significant coverage of engineering materials and production systems. Materials, processes, and systems are the basic building blocks of modern manufacturing and the three broad subject areas covered in the book.
* New and Updated Content:
- The chapter on rapid prototyping has been extensively revised, with a new section on cycle time and cost analysis.
- The chapter on integrated circuit processing has been updated including expanded coverage of Rent’s rule and how to apply it to several different types of integrated circuits.
- The chapter on electronics packaging has been reorganized, with more emphasis on surface mount technology.
- A new section on the classification of nanotechnology products has been added to the chapter on nanofabrication.
* New Example Problems Added: New example problems on topics such as manufacturing economics, tensile testing, machining time, rapid prototyping costs, and integrated circuit processing.
*More than 60% of the end-of-chapter problems are new or revised, and the total number of end-of-chapter problems has been increased.
1. INTRODUCTION AND OVERVIEW OF MANUFACTURING
2. THE NATURE OF MATERIALS
3. MECHANICAL PROPERTIES OF MATERIALS
4. PHYSICAL PROPERTIES OF MATERIALS
5. ENGINEERING MATERIALS
6. DIMENSIONS, SURFACES, AND THEIR MEASUREMENT
7. FUNDAMENTALS OF METAL CASTING
8. METAL CASTING PROCESSES
10. SHAPING PROCESSES FOR PLASTICS
11. PROCESSING OF POLYMER MATRIX COMPOSITES AND RUBBER
12. POWDER METALLURGY
13. PROCESSING OF CERAMICS AND CERMETS
14. FUNDAMENTALS OF METAL FORMING
15. BULK DEFORMATION PROCESSES IN METALWORKING
16. SHEET METALWORKING
17. THEORY OF METAL MACHINING
18. MACHINING OPERATIONS AND MACHINE TOOLS
19. CUTTING-TOOL TECHNOLOGY
20. ECONOMIC AND PRODUCT DESIGN CONSIDERATIONS IN MACHINING
21. GRINDING AND OTHER ABRASIVE PROCESSES
22. NONTRADITIONAL MACHINING AND THERMAL CUTTING PROCESSES
23. HEAT TREATMENT OF METALS
24. SURFACE PROCESSING OPERATIONS
25. FUNDAMENTALS OF WELDING
26. WELDING PROCESSES
27. BRAZING, SOLDERING, AND ADHESIVE BONDING
28. MECHANICAL ASSEMBLY
29. RAPID PROTOTYPING AND ADDITIVE MANUFACTURING
30. PROCESSING OF INTEGRATED CIRCUITS
31. ELECTRONICS ASSEMBLY AND PACKAGING
32. MICROFABRICATION TECHNOLOGIES
33. NANOFABRICATION TECHNOLOGIES
34. AUTOMATION TECHNOLOGIES FOR MANUFACTURING SYSTEMS