Any programmer knows that an API is only half the story, and
with Ruby on Rails this is especially true. Good Rails development, like good
web development, is much more about the design choices you make than the
framework you have at your disposal. Written by an experienced web application
developer, this book picks up where the API leaves off and explains how to take
good Rails code and turn it into beautiful Rails code: simple, effective,
reusable, evolvable code.
In a blend of design and programming, this book identifies and describes the
very latest in design patterns, programming abstractions, and development
methodologies that have emerged for the modern web. Ruby on Rails offers a
completely new way of thinking about and using these emerging techniques, and
learning to think like a Rails developer will enable you to rapidly design and
write high-quality code with elegance and maintainability. With each design
technique, you will discover how Rails incorporates it into its domain-specific
language, and you will learn how to weave it seamlessly into your own Rails
applications. Then you will learn how to take the next step and transform
yourself from user into creator, making your own additions to Rails and crafting
a development environment tailored to your specific needs.
What you will learn from this book
- Techniques for organizing your code between and within Model, View, and
Controller to eliminate code repetition and maximize your effectiveness
- How to think like a REST-based developer and use Rails 2.0 to translate these
thoughts into your code
- Advanced Ruby and meta-programming: how to use features such as block-based
development, monkey patching, and dynamic APIs to build your own additions to
the Rails framework
- Design patterns for AJAX, web APIs, HTML decomposition, schema development,
meta-programming, and more
- Behavior-driven development: A new style of testing and development centered
around stories and behaviors instead of method calls and assertions
- Ways to make your development both productive and fun in the software you
Who this book is for
This book is for developers familiar with Ruby on Rails who are looking to
advance their skills by learning the design and coding techniques that enable a
mastery of web application development with Rails.
Wrox guides are crafted to make learning programming languages and
technologies easier than you think. Written by programmers for programmers, they
provide a structured, tutorial format that will guide you through all the
1. Emergence(y) of the New Web.
2. The Rails Concept.
3. The Server as an Application.
4. Getting the Most from M, V, and C.
5. Beautiful Web APIs.
6. Resources and REST.
7. The Five Styles of AJAX.
8. Playing with Blocks.
9. Mixins and Monkey Patching.
10. Code That Writes Code (That Writes Code).
11. How I Loved to Stop Worrying and Love the Schema.